American Thread Building

USA / New Jersey / Hoboken / West Broadway, 260
 condominium, NRHP - National Register of Historic Places, historic landmark

119-foot, 11-story Renaissance-revival residential building completed in 1896. Designed by William B. Tubby, it was originally known as the Wool Exchange Building, and owned by the Wool Warehouse Company. The wool company did not succeed and the building was acquired by the American Thread Company in 1907. The building was renovated into live/work lofts in 1981. It was added to the National Register of Historic Places on January 20, 2005.

The building has a rounded southeast corner, with its main facades facing Sixth Avenue and Beach/Walker Street. It has a 3-story base, with alternating rustications of red brick and limestone around four double-height round-arches on the east side, and five on the south side. The arches have black iron mullions and spandrels with cartouches. There are also black iron angled bulkheads above the basement-level windows. The 3rd floor has paired square-headed windows with joined stone sills. At the corner the main entrance is up a set of steps and is deeply recessed between a pair of polished stone Ionic columns and a limestone enframement. Above the recessed vestibule are letters reading "AMERICAN THREAD COMPANY", and a dentiled cornice. The 2-story entry vestibule is set behind a set of wrought-iron gates. At the 3rd floor, the rounded corner bay has three windows flanked by a pair of stone cartouches. The entire base along the two main facades is capped by a stone cornice.

The the base of the western elevation, facing an alley, the stone rustications carry over for one round-arched bay. The remainder of the base is clad in red brick above a stone water table. There is a a garage door near the north end, and a smaller round-arch in the northernmost bay. The 3rd-floor windows are mostly grouped in pairs, as are those on the upper floors. The end bays on the upper floors are set off by brick quoins.

On the two main facades, the upper floors are clad in red brick, with paired windows. The rounded corner has three windows on each floor, with varied ornament, including a wide, curved stone balcony at the 6th floor, with stone brackets and a wrought-iron railings, and a smaller balcony at the 8th floor. A stone cornice sets off the top two floors, with have rustications on every pier and stone cartouches at each pier's capital. A tall stone parapet with a red brick cap crowns the facades.

The northern-facing secondary facades are faced in plain concrete, with some square punched windows.

daytoninmanhattan.blogspot.com/2019/04/the-wool-exchang...
Nearby cities:
Coordinates:   40°43'14"N   74°0'20"W
This article was last modified 2 years ago