The Heywood (New York City, New York)

USA / New Jersey / Weehawken / New York City, New York / Ninth Avenue, 263
 condominiums, 1914_construction

138-foot, 10-story residential building completed in 1914. Designed by Shire & Kaufman as a commercial loft building, it served as a printing house in the early-mid 1900s. It was converted to condominiums in 2005. The stately building is six bays wide along 9th Avenue, and five bays wide on 26th Street.

Above a short stone base, it is clad in buff-colored brick. The windows are large squares of triple panes, with stone enframements on the ground floor. Sections of raised brick are on each of the piers separating the windows. A stone cornice caps the ground floor, and another dentiled cornice is above the 2nd floor. On the spandrels between the upper floors are raised brick patterns. The rear wall (west elevation) has red brick above the 2nd floor, with four vertical bands of buff-colored brick, and smaller single windows. The building is crowned by a projecting copper roof cornice.
Nearby cities:
Coordinates:   40°44'54"N   74°0'1"W
This article was last modified 7 years ago