St. Stephen's Episcopal Church

USA / New York / Baxter Estates / Carlton Avenue, 9
 church, place with historical importance

In 1896, the Women’s Guild bought a lot on the corner of Jackson and Covert Streets and built a small wooden chapel; the first service at “Christ Church Mission Chapel” was held on August 9, 1896. The following year, Frances DuPuy of Philadelphia gave the chapel a reed organ that had belonged to her late brother, B. Stephen DuPuy; as a result, the congregation voted to rename itself “St. Stephen’s Chapel.” Miss DuPuy later gave other gifts to the chapel, including an alms basin that is still in use.

In 1905, St. Stephen’s was incorporated as a parish and called the Rev. William Nies as our first Rector. In the same year, the parish bought the current plot of land on Carlton Avenue and moved the building to that land. The first service on the new site was held on Christmas Eve, 1905.

In 1908, the present stone building was started to a design by John England, Jr. It was about half as long as it now is, with a large window at each end of the building, and the entrance on the south side near the rear. It was dedicated in 1910 and consecrated in 1916. The window at the east end was replaced by the St. Stephen window in 1922, and the current altar was installed in 1934; both were donated by the same person.

In 1926, the old chapel building was demolished; it was replaced by the current Parish Hall, which was dedicated in 1927. In 1955, the church was expanded to its present size, with a chapel underneath. The Parish Hall was also expanded in 1962.

archive.org/details/sim_architectural-forum_1928-01_48_...
Nearby cities:
Coordinates:   40°49'53"N   73°41'51"W
This article was last modified 4 years ago