Old Cathedral / The Old Cathedral Library (Vincennes, Indiana)

USA / Indiana / Vincennes / Vincennes, Indiana / Church Street, 205
 Upload a photo

205 Church Street
Vincennes, IN 47591
(812) 882-5638
www.parishesonline.com/find/basilica-of-st-francis-xavi...

Basilica of St. Francis Xavier and French & Indian cemetery. The current "Old Cathedral" was built in 1826, and stands on the site of three previous churches. The first was a crude log structure built about 1732, where the first Catholic parish in Indiana was formed. Four bishops are buried in the crypt of the current Cathedral, and the adjoining cemetery is the final resting place of over 4,000 early citizens of Vincennes. Open daily 8am - 4pm (self-guided tour). No tours during mass.

The Old Cathedral Library is the oldest library in the state of Indiana, and contains between ten and twelve thousand rare volumes. The oldest document in the collection is a Papal Bull issued by Pope John XXII, dated 1319. The oldest book is a 13th century illuminated manuscript volume on vellum of the Officium Sanctae Mariae, while the oldest book printed using movable type is Michael de Carcano's Sermonarium triplicatum, printed in Venice in 1476. Roughly 60% of the titles are in French, 25% are in Latin, and the remaining 15% are in other languages.

It was first organized as a library in 1794 by Rev. Benedict Joseph Flaget, pastor of St. Francis Xavier in Vincennes. In addition to his books, the library continued to receive volumes from many well-known missionaries, priests, and others who were visitors to or residents of Vincennes, and includes books bearing the signatures or marginal writings of Rev. Jean François Rivet, Rev. John Leo Champomier, Rev. Stephen Theodore Badin, Francis Vigo, William Seton, and St. Elizabeth Ann Seton, among others. The bulk of the present library, though -- some six to eight thousand volumes -- are from the personal collection -- and many bear the signature -- of the Rt. Rev. Simon Gabriel Bruté, first Bishop of the former Diocese of Vincennes.

Manuscripts in the collection include:

* The original church records, the earliest being a marriage recorded by Rev. Sebastian Meurin in 1749
* A document, dated May 1st, 1779 signed by Leonard Helm promoting François Godare to Lt. Col. after the retaking of Fort Sackville
* A sermon by Rev. Samuel Stillman, a Baptist minister, dated May 26th, 1779, possibly sent to Bruté by Josiah Bartlett, a signer of the Declaration of Independence
* A German hand-written prayer book, c. 1776, and found in Bishop Bruté's desk after his death.

The Old Cathedral Library & Museum is open from Memorial Day through Labor Day, Monday through Saturday, from 12:30 to 4:00 p.m. Families and groups wishing to see the Museum outside of the regular hours and/or dates should contact the library at 812-882-7016, or the Vincennes and Knox County Convention and Visitors Bureau at 1-800-886-6443 or, if outside of the toll-free calling area, 1-812-886-0400.
Nearby cities:
Coordinates:   38°40'44"N   87°32'3"W
This article was last modified 10 years ago