Former Site of the Ascention Convent (Moscow)
Russia /
Moscow /
Moscow
World
/ Russia
/ Moscow
/ Moscow
, 0 km from center (Москва)
World / Russia / Moscow City / Central
Eclectic (architecture), historical layer / disappeared object
The Ascension Convent or the Starodevichy Convent or Old Maiden's until 1817 was a female cloister in the Moscow Kremlin which contained the burials of grand princesses, tsarinas, and other noble ladies from the Muscovite royal court.
Next to the Saviour Gates of the Kremlin foundation stone for the cathedral was laid in 1407. Eight years later, the cathedral was gutted by fire and was rebuilt in 1467 by princess Maria Yaroslavna, wife of Vasili II of Russia.
Sixteen years later the monastery was again damaged by fire and then restored in 1518-1519 to a design by Aloisio the New. This church was completely rebuilt in 1587-1588, when a new five-domed structure. The renovated structure of 1721 was again engulfed by fire in 1737. A two-storey almshouse was constructed in 1823. The Church of Saint Catherine was built during 19th century. Tthe ancient buildings were damaged by artillery fire during the October Revolution. In 1929, the monastery complex, including the majestic 16th-century cathedral, was dismantled by the Soviets in order to make room for the Red Commanders School, named as the All-Russian Central Executive Committee.
Some of the icons of the Ascension Monastery were made over to the State Tretyakov Gallery and State museums of the Moscow Kremlin. The iconostasis of the Ascension Cathedral was moved into the Cathedral of Twelve Apostles, while the tombs of the Muscovite royalty were transferred into an annex of the Archangel Cathedral, where they reside to this day.
Next to the Saviour Gates of the Kremlin foundation stone for the cathedral was laid in 1407. Eight years later, the cathedral was gutted by fire and was rebuilt in 1467 by princess Maria Yaroslavna, wife of Vasili II of Russia.
Sixteen years later the monastery was again damaged by fire and then restored in 1518-1519 to a design by Aloisio the New. This church was completely rebuilt in 1587-1588, when a new five-domed structure. The renovated structure of 1721 was again engulfed by fire in 1737. A two-storey almshouse was constructed in 1823. The Church of Saint Catherine was built during 19th century. Tthe ancient buildings were damaged by artillery fire during the October Revolution. In 1929, the monastery complex, including the majestic 16th-century cathedral, was dismantled by the Soviets in order to make room for the Red Commanders School, named as the All-Russian Central Executive Committee.
Some of the icons of the Ascension Monastery were made over to the State Tretyakov Gallery and State museums of the Moscow Kremlin. The iconostasis of the Ascension Cathedral was moved into the Cathedral of Twelve Apostles, while the tombs of the Muscovite royalty were transferred into an annex of the Archangel Cathedral, where they reside to this day.
Nearby cities:
Coordinates: 55°45'8"N 37°37'13"E
- Zaryadye - historical district of Moscow 0.2 km
- This part of the Kremlin Wall was torn down along with the towers in 1770-1771 0.4 km
- Hotel Rossiya site 0.4 km
- Construction site of the Grand Kremlin Palace (Bolshoy Kremlyovsky Palace) in 1769-1773 under V. I. Bazhenov's project 0.5 km
- The Tsar's Garden ('Tsaryov Sad') business center (incomplete and abandoned construction site) 0.5 km
- Parking 0.7 km
- Former site of 2nd Shlyuzovoy Per. 2.5 km
- Former site of 1st Shlyuzovoy Per 2.6 km
- Territory of the former Moscow regional Prison 2.7 km
- The former Earthen City (a.k.a. Wooden City, Skorodom) 3.4 km
- Zemlyanoy Gorod 0.1 km
- Moscow Kremlin 0.2 km
- Bely Gorod ('The White Town') 0.4 km
- Tsentralny Administrative Okrug 0.4 km
- Kitay-gorod 0.4 km
- Balchug Island 1.5 km
- Tverskoy District 2.1 km
- Zamoskvorechye District 2.2 km
- Yakimanka District 2.8 km
- Basmanny District 3.5 km